Enterprise Risk Management works with the University’s insurance administrator, Alliant Insurance Services, to obtain the CSU’s comprehensive foreign travel insurance coverage that provides for unanticipated loss, illness/injury, and other trip interruption delays. Coverage includes but is not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, legal assistance, lost luggage, and passport replacement. Assistance is available 24-hours a day and 7-days a week worldwide.
San Francisco State University administrators, faculty, staff, and students traveling on University business to international destinations should obtain the CSU’s foreign travel insurance through Enterprise Risk Management for all international travel. The CSU’s foreign travel insurance provides coverage for activities that include but limited to academic coursework, field research, attendance to professional conferences and meetings, teaching, and other University related work and activities.
International travel approval is required and obtained by completing the Fiscal Affairs form, Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form. This completed form, together with the completed Request for Foreign Travel Insurance packet is submitted to Enterprise Risk Management in ADM 260 for foreign travel insurance processing and the University's approval. When appropriate travel approval and foreign travel insurance is not obtained, international travel is considered unauthorized and the University will not reimburse travel expenses.
Check with Enterprise Risk Management when travel is to high-hazard/war-risk countries. If so, then complete Request for Travel to High Risk Country form. Chancellor’s approval is required for trips to war-risk countries, including short-term study-abroad trips. Worldwide coverage is available in most destinations except for countries where trade or economic sanctions are imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America.
Non-employee travelers (i.e. students, volunteers, etc.) are required to complete the Release of Liability packet and Human Resources's Request to Appoint Volunteer form. These completed forms shall be accompanied by the other international travel documentation and forwarded to ADM 260.
A summary of the CSU’s foreign travel coverage is available by downloading the Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage Summary.
Questions regarding foreign travel insurance coverage may be directed to Wendy Lopez in Enterprise Risk Management at (415) 405-4323 or by email at email@example.com, or Aimee Arica at (415) 338-7191 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive travel assistance services 24-hours a day, 7-days a week (includes but not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, lost luggage assistance, legal assistance, and lost or stolen passport assistance). High hazard activities are not covered in this policy (i.e. scuba diving, rock or mountain climbing, whitewater rafting, sailing, parachuting, etc.).
Trip Cancellation/Interruption benefit: Reimbursement for trip expenses related to traveler's unforeseen injury, illness, or death.
Contacts for 24 - Hour Access
ACE Travel Assistance Program (Emergency & Executive Assistance)
1-630-694-9764 Direct Dial
S.F. State University – Enterprise Risk Management Phone: (415) 338-2565; Email: email@example.com
Campus Contact during normal business hours
Hired & non-owned Auto Liability
Foreign Workers’ Compensation
Accident & Sickness
Rates are subject to change depending on the dates of travel and the foreign destination.
- Trips up to 15-days: $60.00 per traveler/per trip
- Trips up to 31-days: $75.00 per traveler/per trip
- Trips over 31-days: Contact Enterprise Risk Management staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
A complete Foreign Travel Request consist of the following forms:
- Request for Authorization to Travel (PDF)
- Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) (PDF)
- If a student, also submit a Release of Liability (PDF)
- If a student and a minor (under 18 years of age), also submit a Minors Medical Consent Form (PDF)
- If traveling to a high hazard country, also submit a Request for Travel Approval to High-Risk Country (PDF)
A complete Foreign Travel Request for 2 or more travelers consist of the following forms:
- Request for Authorization to Travel (PDF) - required for each traveler
- Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) (PDF) - required for Trip Leader only
- Participant List (PDF)
- Foreign Travel Schedule (PDF)
- If a student, also submit a Release of Liability (PDF) - required for each student traveler
- If appointing a volunteer, also submit a Request to Appoint Volunteer (PDF) - required for each volunteer traveler
You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF files on this page; it is a free download from Adobe.com.