Filing a Claim Under the Government Claims Act Against the CSU
A claim against SF State University must be timely filed with the Office of Risk Management and Public Safety after the incident or event occurred, along with a $25 claim filing fee made out to "Trustees of CSU."
Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:
The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210
Procedures for Filing a Claim
- Obtain a California State University Claim Form (fillable PDF) Firefox and Chrome users, please ensure that you are using Adobe to open the claim form as other viewers will not open this type of form. Alternate PDF (non-fillable)
- Carefully read the instructions, complete the relevant sections of the form describing the circumstances in full detail that led to the alleged damage or injury, and include any related supporting documents, such as Police reports, medical documentation, estimates for repair, etc.
- Make a copy of your claim package for your records and mail the original claim package with your payment of $25 (made out to "Trustees of CSU") to the CSU-Office of the Chancellor at the address above.
- If you do not use the California State University Claim Form, you must provide sufficient information to process the claim and the request must be appropriately signed.
- Under circumstances where you cannot afford to pay the $25 fee and you would like to request a fee waiver, you must attach an Affidavit for Waiver of CSU Filing Fee (PDF).
- File the claim within the required time limits. For tort or personal injury claims, the claim must be filed within six months of the date of the incident. For contract claims, the claim must be filed within one year of the date of the alleged breach of contract.
- If the claim-filing deadline has expired, you may seek permission to file a late claim, but that request must be made within six months of the missed deadline. You must then file an Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim to the CSU (PDF).