Travel for University Business

Travel for University Business

Whether you travel locally or internationally for University business, approval authorization and travel insurance must be obtained prior to departure. Travel to any destination outside the United States and its territories and possessions including Puerto Rico requires Vice President/Provost approval and foreign travel insurance must be purchased through Enterprise Risk Management at least 45 days prior to departure. There is a significant insurance premium cost for travel to High-Risk countries and additional approval is required.  

For additional information on foreign travel, contact Aimee Arica at (415) 338-7191 in Enterprise Risk Management.  Additional information is also available on the foreign travel insurance programs website.

For additional information on domestic travel, contact Edward Wang at (415) 338-2604 or Cindy Tieu-Nguyen at (415) 338-2629 in Fiscal Affairs, Travel.

Contact Fiscal Affairs, Travel for information regarding the University's Enterprise/National Rent-A-Car Program.

Authorization to Drive for University Business

The University's Driver Safety Program establishes policy and procedures governing employee use of private and state owned vehicles for business purposes, University-sponsored field trips and foreign and domestic travel.

Prior authorization must be obtained before operating a private or state owned motorized vehicle on University business (including powered carts, tractors, forklifts and rented vehicles).  Authorized drivers must maintain a valid driver's license, have a good driving record and complete Defensive Driver Training. Travel reimbursement is not approved for unauthorized drivers.

Contact Enterprise Risk Management for information regarding the Driver Safety Program - Demond Blanton at (415) 338-1545, or