Enterprise Risk Management works with the University’s insurance administrator, Alliant Insurance Services, to obtain the CSU’s comprehensive foreign travel insurance coverage that provides for unanticipated loss, illness/injury, and other trip interruption delays. Coverage includes but is not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, legal assistance, lost luggage, and passport replacement. Assistance is available 24-hours a day and 7-days a week worldwide.
San Francisco State University administrators, faculty, staff, and students traveling on University business to international destinations should obtain the CSU’s foreign travel insurance through Enterprise Risk Management for all international travel. The CSU’s foreign travel insurance provides coverage for activities that include but limited to academic coursework, field research, attendance to professional conferences and meetings, teaching, and other University related work and activities.
International travel approval is required and obtained by completing the Fiscal Affairs form, Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form, for students and group travel requests. This completed form, together with the completed Request for Foreign Travel Insurance packet is submitted to Enterprise Risk Management in ADM 260 for foreign travel insurance processing and the University's approval. When appropriate travel approval and foreign travel insurance is not obtained, international travel is considered unauthorized and the University will not reimburse travel expenses.
Starting February 2019, faculty and staff obtains international travel approval online through Concur Travel & Expenses, a new travel management system. This system replaces the Fiscal Affairs form Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form. Before submitting your Concur Travel Request, faculty or staff also attaches a complete Request for Foreign Travel Insurance form; and Budget Approver manually adds Enterprise Risk Management as next level approver for ERM to approve and purchase/bind foreign travel insurance. For questions regarding Concur Travel & Expenses, contact Amanda Gazzo at (415) 338-2808 or email at email@example.com Additional information is available on the Fiscal Affairs, University Travel Services website.
Check with Enterprise Risk Management when travel is to high-hazard/war-risk countries. If so, then complete Request for Travel to High Risk Country form. If faculty or staff and submitting an individual travel request, attach this form to n the Concur Travel Request with the Request for Foreign Travel Insurance form. Chancellor’s approval is required for trips to war-risk countries, including short-term study-abroad trips. Worldwide coverage is available in most destinations except for countries where trade or economic sanctions are imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America.
Non-employee travelers (i.e. students, volunteers, etc.) are required to complete the Release of Liability packet or the Human Resources's Request to Appoint Volunteer form. These completed forms shall be accompanied by the other international travel documentation and forwarded to ADM 260.
A summary of the CSU’s foreign travel coverage is available by downloading the Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage Summary.
Questions regarding foreign travel insurance coverage may be directed to Wendy Lopez in Enterprise Risk Management at (415) 405-4323 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive travel assistance services 24-hours a day, 7-days a week (includes but not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, lost luggage assistance, legal assistance, and lost or stolen passport assistance). High hazard activities are not covered in this policy (i.e. scuba diving, rock or mountain climbing, whitewater rafting, sailing, parachuting, etc.).
- General Liability
- Contingent Auto Liability (Excess)
- Employers Responsibility Coverage Voluntary Compensation
- Employers Liability
- Primary Accident or Sickness Expense Benefit
- Emergency Medical Benefits
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Repatriation of Remains
- Emergency Reunion Benefit
- Emergency Hotel Convalescence Benefit
- Home Country Extension Benefit
- Security Evacuation Expense Benefit
- Trip Cancellation Benefit
- Trip Interruption Benefit
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Benefit (Self-Funded)
- Trip Delay Benefit
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit
- Aggregate Limit Benefit
Contact - 24 Hour Access
ACE Travel Assistance Program (Emergency & Executive Assistance)
1-630-694-9764 (Direct Dial)
In the event of a medical assistance, medical emergency, travel assistance, and/or security assistance,
the SF State University participant should contact the Travel Assist provider to initiate assistance.
SF State University – Enterprise Risk Management
Phone: (415) 338-2565
Campus Contact during normal business hours
Rates are subject to change depending on the dates of travel and the foreign destination.
- Trips 1-15 days: $60.00 per traveler/per trip
- Trips 16-31 days: $75.00 per traveler/per trip
- Trips 32-90 days: $140.00 per traveler/per trip
- Trips over 90 days: Contact Enterprise Risk Management staff at 415-405-4323
A complete Foreign Travel Request consist of the following forms:
- For faculty or staff, login to Concur Travel
- For students, complete the following forms
- Request for Authorization to Travel (PDF)
- Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) (PDF)
- Release of Liability (PDF)
- If a minor (under 18 years of age), also submit a Minors Medical Consent Form (PDF)
- If traveling to a high hazard country, also submit a Request for Travel Approval to High-Risk Country (PDF)
A complete Foreign Travel Request for 2 or more travelers consist of the following forms:
- Request for Authorization to Travel (PDF) - required for each traveler
- Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) (PDF) - required for Trip Leader only
- Participant List (PDF)
- Foreign Travel Schedule (PDF)
- If a student, also submit a Release of Liability (PDF) - required for each student traveler
- If appointing a volunteer, also submit a Request to Appoint Volunteer (PDF) - required for each volunteer traveler
You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF files on this page; it is a free download from Adobe.com.