Foreign Travel

The travel ban for non-essential international and domestic travels has been extended through June 30, 2021.  All travels must be approved by the appropriate Vice President and the President.  Additional information is available on the Fiscal Affairs website at


Enterprise Risk Management works with the University’s insurance administrator, Alliant Insurance Services, to obtain the CSU’s comprehensive foreign travel insurance coverage that provides for unanticipated loss, illness/injury, and other trip interruption delays. Coverage includes but is not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, legal assistance, lost luggage, and passport replacement. Assistance is available 24-hours a day and 7-days a week worldwide.


San Francisco State University administrators, faculty, staff, and students traveling on University business to international destinations should obtain the CSU’s foreign travel insurance through Enterprise Risk Management for all international travel. The CSU’s foreign travel insurance provides coverage for activities that include but limited to academic coursework, field research, attendance to professional conferences and meetings, teaching, and other University related work and activities.


International travel approval is required and obtained by completing the Fiscal Affairs form, Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form, for students and group travel requests. This completed form, together with the completed Request for Foreign Travel Insurance packet is submitted to Enterprise Risk Management in ADM 260 for foreign travel insurance processing and the University's approval. When appropriate travel approval and foreign travel insurance is not obtained, international travel is considered unauthorized and the University will not reimburse travel expenses.


Starting February 2019, faculty and staff obtains international travel approval online through Concur Travel & Expenses, a new travel management system.  This system replaces the Fiscal Affairs form Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form.  Each fully approved Concur Travel & Expense Request is forwarded to our office from Fiscal Affairs for purchasing/binding foreign travel insurance.  For questions regarding Concur Travel & Expenses, contact Amanda Gazzo at (415) 338-2808 or email at  Additional information is available on the Fiscal Affairs, University Travel Services website.


Check with Enterprise Risk Management when travel is to high-hazard/war-risk countries. If so, then complete Request for Travel to High Risk Country form. If faculty or staff and submitting an individual travel request, attach this form to n the Concur Travel Request with the Request for Foreign Travel Insurance form.  Chancellor’s approval is required for trips to war-risk countries, including short-term study-abroad trips. Worldwide coverage is available in most destinations except for countries where trade or economic sanctions are imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America.


Non-employee travelers (i.e. students, volunteers, etc.) are required to complete the Release of Liability packet or the Human Resources's Request to Appoint Volunteer form. These completed forms shall be accompanied by the other international travel documentation and forwarded to ADM 260.


A summary of the CSU’s foreign travel coverage is available by downloading the Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage Summary.


Questions regarding foreign travel insurance coverage may be directed to Aimee Arica in Enterprise Risk Management at


Executive travel assistance services 24-hours a day, 7-days a week (includes but not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, lost luggage assistance, legal assistance, and lost or stolen passport assistance). High hazard activities are not covered in this policy (i.e. scuba diving, rock or mountain climbing, whitewater rafting, sailing, parachuting, etc.).


CSURMA FTIP Coverage Summary 2020-21

  • General Liability
  • Contingent Auto Liability (Excess)
  • Employers Responsibility Coverage Voluntary Compensation
  • Employers Liability
  • Primary Accident or Sickness Expense Benefit
  • Emergency Medical Benefits
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Emergency Reunion Benefit
  • Emergency Hotel Convalescence Benefit
  • Home Country Extension Benefit 
  • Security Evacuation Expense Benefit
  • Trip Cancellation Benefit
  • Trip Interruption Benefit
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Benefit (Self-Funded)
  • Trip Delay Benefit
  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit
  • Aggregate Limit Benefit


Contact - 24 Hour Access

ACE Travel Assistance Program (Emergency & Executive Assistance)

1-855-327-1414 Toll-Free

1-630-694-9764 (Direct Dial)

In the event of a medical assistance, medical emergency, travel assistance, and/or security assistance,

the SF State University participant should contact the Travel Assist provider to initiate assistance.


SF State University – Enterprise Risk Management

Email: or

Campus Contact during normal business hours


Premium Rates

Rates are subject to change depending on the dates of travel and the foreign destination.

  • Trips 1-15 days: $60.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips 16-31 days: $75.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips 32-90 days: $140.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips over 90 days: Email Enterprise Risk Management staff at or


A complete Foreign Travel Request consist of the following forms:


A complete Foreign Travel Request for 2 or more travelers consist of the following forms:




You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF files on this page; it is a free download from