Driving on University Business

In an effort to protect the University community and assets, the Driver Safety Program is designed to educate and review the California driving fundamentals for University employees and volunteers.



      The requirements of this program pertain to:

      • CSU employees
      • CSU volunteers

      Prior authorization must be obtained before operating a privately- or University-owned motorized vehicle on University business. This includes:

      • University-owned vehicles
      • Rented vehicles
      • Powered carts (requires additional training)
      • Tractors (requires additional training)
      • Forklifts (requires additional training)

      Driver Safety Program

      Becoming an Authorized Driver

      1. Complete the following required forms and submit them to ERM via DocuSign.

      2. ERM will email instructions for accessing the Defensive Driver Training (DDT) through CSU Learn.  The DDT course must be assigned by ERM and cannot be self-initiated.  

      3. Email a copy of the Certificate of Completion to riskmgmt@sfsu.edu.  Click here for instructions on how to access/print your Certificate of Completion.  

      Rental Vehicles

      Administrators, faculty, and staff who rent vehicles for University business are reminded to access University vehicle rentals through the Enterprise/National Rent-A-Car Program through Concur Travel.  This will ensure California Department of General Services (DGS) master agreement commercial rental car rates. 


      Use this link to view the current list of authorized drivers. 

      Auto Accidents

      Guidelines for Use of University and Private Vehicles

      Frequently Asked Questions

      The Driver Safety Program aims to ensure those who drive on University business are qualified to do so and to set minimum standards of care and conduct in order to protect University assets, which includes people and property. University practice also requires drivers to be registered in the Driver Safety Program in order to be reimbursed for auto-related travel expenses.

      No. These forms capture data that is considered confidential. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH THESE FORMS TO AN EMAIL.

      These forms should be completed in DocuSign.  The forms are available as templates in DocuSign. 

      If necessary, the forms can be downloaded from the "Forms" section and hand-delivered to ADM 258 or faxed to (415) 338-0597.  

      The SDT 261 form is valid for one year and requires annual renewal.

      No. Standard practice dictates that ERM receive the required forms first.

      Yes, volunteers who are formally appointed as such through Human Resources are permitted to drive University vehicles.

      Only if you are an employee and are driving on University business. This includes staff, faculty, graduate teaching assistants, student assistants, and work-study students. You must also be registered through the Driver Safety Program. Students who are formally appointed as volunteers may drive University vehicles on University business. Persons who are not “University employees,” are not authorized to drive University vehicles.