The CSU requires that all students traveling internationally purchase foreign travel insurance through their Campus, per the CSU Chancellor's Office Memorandum RM 2014-01. This insurance is in addition to any travel insurance that may be required by your study abroad host institution.
Purchasing Foreign Travel Insurance
Summer, Fall and Academic Year 2023/24 Processing
Please make sure to complete the FTIP Packet at least 30 days before your departure date. Requests will be processed based on the earliest departure date. Let us know if you have scholarship or visa requirements so we can prioritize your request.
On the PowerForm Signer Information Page, it is important that you enter your first and last names for DocuSign to auto-populate your complete name throughout all the forms.
Once you start filling the forms, make sure to finish it in one session, or complete within 30 days. Otherwise, you will need to start over after the form expires. Please pay attention to the following instructions that may or may not pertain to your travel before you begin.
- If you do not have your acceptance letter and/or lodging information available, you can email this information when it is available at firstname.lastname@example.org You may still proceed in completing the packet.
- The Request for Authorization to Travel to a High Hazard Country is only required if you’re traveling to a high hazard country. Refer to the CSURMA High Hazard Countries list below.
- Complete this packet at least 30 days before your departure date. Early requests for visa and/or scholarship requirements will be processed upon request. Email email@example.com if you need your documents sooner.
For insurance questions, contact Aimee Arica in Enterprise Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
For study abroad program questions, contact the Office of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
To start completing the Foreign Travel Insurance Packet - Study Abroad, click HERE.
The packet includes the following forms.
- Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form (2 pages)
- Release of Liability for Ground/Air Travel (3 pages)
- Request for Personal Travel and Acceptance of All Risks
- Acknowledgement of Travel Risks During the COVID-19 Pandemic form (3 pages)
- Study Abroad Program - Request for Authorization to Travel to a High Hazard Country
Required only if you are a minor (under 18 years of age). Email these forms to email@example.com
These forms require a "wet" signature of a legal guardian. Electronic signatures are not permitted for these documents pertaining to youth under the age of 18 (minors).
- Release of Liability for Ground/Air Travel (including your parent or legal guardian’s approval signature.)
- Minor’s Medical Consent Form
Once Enterprise Risk Management reviews all required documents, we will provide you with a cashier slip and link to an eMarket website.
You can pay:
- In-person, pay by cash, OR
- In-person, pay by check payable to "San Francisco State University", OR
Visit the Bursar's Office website for office hours and cashiering availability.
- Online, pay on the e-Market website provided by our office by electronic check (no transaction fee), OR
- Online, pay on the e-Market website provided by our office by credit card with an additional, non refundable transaction fee of 2.65%
After payment, email a receipt copy to Aimee Arica at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
After payment is verified, our office will submit a request to bind insurance with our insurance program administrators. Once coverage is secured, coverage documents will be emailed to the address provided on your Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form.
2022-23 Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) Coverage Summary
Chubb Travel Assistance Program Contact
(Emergency & Executive Assistance)
1-630-694-9764 Direct Dial
Visit www.acetravelassistance.net for access to global threat assessments and location-based intelligence.
In the event of a medical emergency or in need of travel assistance, and/or security assistance, the traveler should contact the Travel Assistance Program Contact (above) to initiate assistance.
|Program Length||Premium Amount|
|1 - 15 days||$60|
|16 - 31 days||$75|
|32 - 90 days||$140|
|91 - 180 days||$265|
|181 - 270 days||$325|
|271 - 364 days||$500|
|365 + days||Contact Enterprise Risk Management|
These countries are categorized as Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) on the U.S. Department of State's travel advisory list. Traveling to these countries requires approval from the Campus President or her designee, and has a higher insurance premium.
|Burkina Faso||Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire)||Libya||Saudi Arabia|
|Central African Republic||Guinea-Bissau||
Travel to these countries requires approval from both the Chancellor of the CSU and the Campus President, and has a higher insurance premium.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The CSU requires all study abroad students to purchase the CSU's foreign travel insurance through their campus.
Am I still required to purchase insurance through SF State even if my host institution already provides or requires me to purchase insurance from them?
Yes. Even if your host institution provides or also requires you to purchase insurance from them, the CSU still requires you to purchase foreign travel insurance through SF State. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
The University's Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) offers more comprehensive coverage than traditional travel insurance and covers, but is not limited to:
- General Liability and Excess Auto Liability
- Primary Accident or Sickness Expense
- Emergency Medical Benefits and Evacuation
- Emergency Reunion
- Repatriation of Remains
- Political Evacuations
For additional information, refer to the 2022-23 FTIP Coverage Summary.
The Foreign Travel Insurance Program is not traditional health insurance and does not cover routine healthcare visits.
Coverage for trip cancellation and trip delay is excluded.
The program allows up to 14 days of covered personal travel outside of your academic program.
Please refer to the 2022-23 FTIP Coverage Summary for coverage information.