Foreign Travel Insurance


The University continues to monitor the status of the pandemic throughout the globe to ensure that we are providing our students, faculty, and staff with international travel guidance based on the most current data.  With new variants constantly emerging and vaccination rates and other health metrics varying greatly from country to country and week to week, the University reserves the right to cancel any previously approved international travel if the health and safety situation of a country warrants increased health and safety measures.  Approved international travel requests can be withdrawn by the University up until the departure date, and in extreme instances, travelers can be required to immediately return from travel if the situation worsens significantly.

Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) works with the CSURMA Program Administrators to obtain the CSU’s mandatory foreign travel insurance coverage. Coverage includes but is not limited to emergency medical care, medical evacuation, legal assistance, lost luggage, and passport replacement. Assistance is available 24-hours a day and 7-days a week worldwide.

Administrators, faculty, staff, and students traveling internationally on University business must obtain foreign travel insurance through Enterprise Risk Management. Insurance through the Foreign Travel Insurance Provides (FTIP) covers activities, including, but not limited to, academic coursework, field research, attendance at professional conferences and meetings, teaching, and other University-related work and activities.

International travel approval is required and obtained by completing an online Concur Travel Request (for Faculty and Staff), or a Request for Authorization to Travel/Travel Advance form (for students and group travel requests).  This completed request/form, together with the completed Request for Foreign Travel Insurance packet, is submitted for approval through Concur or Enterprise Risk Management in ADM 258 (or DocuSign).  When appropriate travel approval and foreign travel insurance are not obtained, international travel is considered unauthorized and the University's insurance coverage will not be extended nor will travel expenses be reimbursed. 

Faculty and staff obtain international travel approval online through Concur Travel & Expenses, a new travel management system. Each fully approved Concur Travel & Expense Request is forwarded to ERM from Fiscal Affairs for foreign travel insurance processing.  For questions regarding Concur Travel & travel expense reimbursement policies, contact Amanda Tobias at (415) 338-2808 or email at  Additional information is available on the Fiscal Affairs, University Travel Services website.

If requesting travel to a "high hazard" or "war risk" country as designated by CSURMA, please first consult with Enterprise Risk Management before submitting the Request for Travel to High-Risk Country form. If faculty or staff is submitting an individual travel request to one of these countries, attach this form to the Concur Travel Request with the Request for Foreign Travel Insurance form.  Chancellor’s Office approval is required for all travel to war-risk countries. Foreign Travel Insurance coverage is available in most destinations except for countries on which trade or economic sanctions have been imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America.

Non-employee travelers (i.e. students, volunteers, etc.) are required to complete the Release of Liability packet.  Volunteers also must be formally appointed as volunteers through Human Resources by completing the Request to Appoint Volunteer form. These completed forms must be submitted with the other required travel documentation for international travel and submitted to ERM.

A summary of the CSU’s foreign travel coverage is available by downloading the Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage Summary.

Questions regarding foreign travel insurance coverage may be directed to Aimee Arica in Enterprise Risk Management at

Executive travel assistance services 24-hours a day, 7-days a week (includes, but is not limited to, emergency medical care, medical evacuation, lost luggage assistance, legal assistance, and lost or stolen passport assistance). High-risk activities, i.e., scuba diving, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, etc., are excluded from coverage.


2021-22 CSURMA FTIP Coverage Summary 


Countries Pre-Approved for Travel During the Pandemic - Updated 3/1/2022

  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Costa Rica
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • France
  • Germany (Updated 11/24/21: "Essential" travel only; Travel justification must be submitted for approval.)
  • Ghana
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden 
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • Vietnam


Updated Foreign Travel Process due to the Pandemic

1.  If the destination is not listed on the “Countries Pre-Approved for Travel During the Pandemic” (refer to above), the traveler contacts Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) at or and provides the following information.

  • Traveler(s) name,
  • Destination (city and country),
  • Travel dates, and
  • Justification memo (purpose of travel)

If the travel request is for a “pre-approved country”, the traveler may proceed in submitting their travel request.  Refer to the section for “required forms” below.

2.  A risk assessment is initiated by ERM and the Office of International Programs (OIP) after receipt of the traveler’s email.

Concurrently, a Concur Travel Request can be submitted by the faculty or staff.  If a student traveler, the College can work with the student to submit their forms through Concur Travel Request.  Refer to the section for “required forms” below. 

For questions or assistance on Concur Travel Request, contact Amanda Tobias in Fiscal Affairs at


Required Forms for a Faculty or Staff Request:


Required Forms for a Faculty or Staff Request funded by UCorp - UCorp funding sources are not available in Concur Travel at this time.


Required Forms for a Non-Employee Request (i.e. students, or volunteers):

If you're participating in the Office of International Program's Study Abroad Program, visit our Foreign Travel - Study Abroad website for the required forms.


Required forms for Group Foreign Travel Request (2 or more travelers):

For Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program, contact Alexander Chang in the College of Extended Learning (CEL) at

FTIP forms will not be accepted in ERM for this program.  Submit all forms to CEL.  For reference, the FTIP checklist is available here


Premium Rates:

Rates are subject to change depending on the dates of travel and the foreign destination.

  • Trips 1-15 days: $60.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips 16-31 days: $75.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips 32-90 days: $140.00 per traveler/per trip
  • Trips over 90 days - Email Enterprise Risk Management staff at or


Chubb Travel Assistance Program 

24-Hour Access
1-855-327-1414  Toll-Free
1-630-694-9764  Direct Dial

Visit for access to global threat assessments and location-based intelligence.

In the event medical assistance, medical emergency, travel assistance, and/or security assistance are needed, the SF State University participant should contact the Travel Assist provider to initiate assistance.


Campus Contact

Email:, or Aimee Arica at

Purchasing Foreign Travel Insurance

For more information on how to complete a travel request through Concur, visit the Fiscal Affairs website

This does not apply to study abroad or faculty-led study abroad programs. 

For the Office of International Program's (OIP) Study Abroad Program insurance requirements, visit our website for Study Abroad Insurance.  For questions regarding the program, contact OIP at

For the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program group travel, contact Alexander Chang in the College of Extended Learning (CEL) at  FTIP forms will not be accepted in ERM for this program.  Submit all forms to CEL.  For reference, the FTIP checklist is available here

Once requests are fully approved in Concur, Enterprise Risk Management will send the requester an email confirming insurance has been bound.

Chargebacks for insurance premiums are processed on a quarterly basis, or after ERM is invoiced.

Trip Length

Premium Amount per Traveler/per Trip

1 - 15 days $60
16 - 31 days $75
32 - 90 days $140
90 + days contact Enterprise Risk Management

These countries are categorized as Level 3 (reconsider travel) on the U.S. Department of State's travel advisory list.  Traveling to these countries requires approval from the Campus President or her designee, and has a higher insurance premium.

Burundi Lebanon Palestinian Authority Turkey
Cuba Libya Saudi Arabia Yemen
Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire) Nigeria Somalia  
Egypt Pakistan South Korea  

Traveling to these countries requires approval from the Chancellor of the CSU and the Campus President, and has a higher insurance premium.

South Sudan

Related Links